- Live-Work Planning and Design: Zero-Commute Housing
Although the live-work concept is now accepted among progressive urban design and planning professionals, the specifics that define the term, and its application, remain sketchy. This encyclopedic work is sure to change that, providing the critical information that is needed by architects, planners and citizens.
-Peter Katz, Author, The New Urbanism, and Planning Director, Arlington County, Virginia
Live-Work Planning and Design is the only comprehensive guide to the design and planning of live-work spaces for architects, designers, and urban planners. Readers will learn from built examples of live-work, both new construction and renovation, in a variety of locations. Urban planners, developers, and economic development staff will learn how various municipalities have developed and incorporated live-work within building codes and city plans. The author, whose pioneering website, www.live-work.com, has been guiding practitioners and users of live-work since 1998, is the United States? leading expert on the subject.
- Fundamentals of Signal Processing for Sound and Vibration Engineers
Fundamentals of Signal Processing for Sound and Vibration Engineers is based on Joe Hammond s many years of teaching experience at the Institute of Sound and Vibration Research, University of Southampton. Whilst the applications presented emphasise sound and vibration, the book focusses on the basic essentials of signal processing that ensures its appeal as a reference text to students and practitioners in all areas of mechanical, automotive, aerospace and civil engineering.
- Offers an excellent introduction to signal processing for students and professionals in the sound and vibration engineering field.
- Split into two parts, covering deterministic signals then random signals, and offering a clear explanation of their theory and application together with appropriate MATLAB examples.
- Provides an excellent study tool for those new to the field of signal processing.
- Integrates topics within continuous, discrete, deterministic and random signals to facilitate better understanding of the topic as a whole.
- Illustrated with MATLAB examples, some using real measured data, as well as fifty MATLAB codes on an accompanying website.
- High Voltage and Electrical Insulation Engineering
The book is written for students as well as for teachers and researchers in the field of High Voltage and Insulation Engineering. It is based on the advance level courses conducted at TU Dresden, Germany and Indian Institute of Technology Kanpur, India. The book has a novel approach describing the fundamental concept of field dependent behavior of dielectrics subjected to high voltage. There is no other book in the field of high voltage engineering following this new approach in describing the behavior of dielectrics.
The contents begin with the description of fundamental terminology in the subject of high voltage engineering. It is followed by the classification of electric fields and the techniques of field estimation. Performance of gaseous, liquid and solid dielectrics under different field conditions is described in the subsequent chapters. Separate chapters on vacuum as insulation and the lightning phenomenon are included.
- MCTS Microsoft SharePoint 2010 Configuration Study Guide: Exam 70-667
A Sybex study guide for the new SharePoint Server 2010 Configuration exam
SharePoint holds 55 percent of the collaboration and content management market, with many more companies indicating they plan to join the fold. IT professionals interested in enhancing their marketability with the new Microsoft Certified Technology Specialist: Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 Configuring exam will find this guide may be their only alternative to costly classroom training.
- Microsoft SharePoint claims over half the market for collaboration and content management software; IT professionals will boost their marketability with the newest MCTS certification covering Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 Configuring
- This study guide covers 100 percent of the exam objectives with real world scenarios, hands-on exercises, and challenging review questions
- Covers installing, deploying, configuring, and upgrading SharePoint Server 2010; managing search, business intelligence, and administration; configuring content management and business forms; and more
With plenty of practice questions on the companion CD, this guide to exam 70-667 prepares IT professionals to achieve the MCTS: Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 Configuring certification.
- Biology of Sensory Systems
Since publication of the first edition, huge developments have taken place in sensory biology research and new insights have been provided in particular by molecular biology. These show the similarities in the molecular architecture and in the physiology of sensory cells across species and across sensory modality and often indicate a common ancestry dating back over half a billion years.
Biology of Sensory Systems has thus been completely revised and takes a molecular, evolutionary and comparative approach, providing an overview of sensory systems in vertebrates, invertebrates and prokaryotes, with a strong focus on human senses.
Written by a renowned author with extensive teaching experience, the book covers, in six parts, the general features of sensory systems, the mechanosenses, the chemosenses, the senses which detect electromagnetic radiation, other sensory systems including pain, thermosensitivity and some of the minority senses and, finally, provides an outline and discussion of philosophical implications.
New in this edition:
Over four hundred illustrations, boxes containing supplementary material and self-assessment questions and a full bibliography at the end of each part make Biology of Sensory Systems essential reading for undergraduate students of biology, zoology, animal physiology, neuroscience, anatomy and physiological psychology. The book is also suitable for postgraduate students in more specialised courses such as vision sciences, optometry, neurophysiology, neuropathology, developmental biology.
Praise from the reviews of the first edition:
"An excellent advanced undergraduate/postgraduate textbook." ASLIB BOOK GUIDE
"The emphasis on comparative biology and evolution is one of the distinguishing features of this self-contained book. .... this is an informative and thought-provoking text..." TIMES HIGHER EDUCATIONAL SUPPLEMENT