- Ubuntu Linux Bible: Featuring Ubuntu 10.04 LTS
The best resource on the very latest for Ubuntu users!
Ubuntu is a free, open-source, Linux-based operating system that can run on desktops, laptops, netbooks, and servers. If you?ve joined the millions of users around the world who prefer open-source OS-and Ubuntu in particular-this book is perfect for you. It brings you the very latest on Ubuntu 10.04, with pages of step-by-step instruction, helpful tips, and expert techniques.
- The Ubuntu Linux Project
- Installing Ubuntu
- Installing Ubuntu on Special-Purpose Systems
- Basic Linux System Concepts
- Using the GNOME Desktop
- Using the Compiz Window Manager
- Managing E-Mail and Personal Information with Evolution
- Surfing the Web with Firefox
- Migrating from Windows Systems
- Sending and Receiving Instant Messages
- Using Command-Line Tools
- Working with Text Files
- Creating and Publishing Documents
- Other Office Software: Spreadsheets and Presentations
- Working with Graphics
- Working with Multimedia
- Consumer Electronics and Ubuntu
- Adding, Removing, and Updating Software
- Adding Hardware and Attaching Peripherals
- Network Configuration and Security
- Going Wireless
- Software Development on Ubuntu
- Using Virtual Machines and Emulators
- Connecting to Other Systems
- File Transfer and Sharing
- Managing Users, Groups, and Authentication
- Backing Up and Restoring Files
- Setting Up a Web Server
- Setting Up a Mail Server
- Setting Up a DHCP Server
- Setting Up a DNS Server
- Setting Up a Print Server
- Setting Up an NFS Server
- Up a Samba Server
Updating your Ubuntu? Ubuntu Linux Bible, Third Edition, is the book you need to succeed!
- Stochastic Geometry and Its Applications
An extensive update to a classic text
Stochastic geometry and spatial statistics play a fundamental role in many modern branches of physics, materials sciences, engineering, biology and environmental sciences. They offer successful models for the description of random two- and three-dimensional micro and macro structures and statistical methods for their analysis.
The previous edition of this book has served as the key reference in its field for over 18 years and is regarded as the best treatment of the subject of stochastic geometry, both as a subject with vital applications to spatial statistics and as a very interesting field of mathematics in its own right.
- Presents a wealth of models for spatial patterns and related statistical methods.
- Provides a great survey of the modern theory of random tessellations, including many new models that became tractable only in the last few years.
- Includes new sections on random networks and random graphs to review the recent ever growing interest in these areas.
- Provides an excellent introduction to theory and modelling of point processes, which covers some very latest developments.
- Illustrate the forefront theory of random sets, with many applications.
- Adds new results to the discussion of fibre and surface processes.
- Offers an updated collection of useful stereological methods.
- Includes 700 new references.
- Is written in an accessible style enabling non-mathematicians to benefit from this book.
- Provides a companion website hosting information on recent developments in the field www.wiley.com/go/cskm
Stochastic Geometry and its Applications is ideally suited for researchers in physics, materials science, biology and ecological sciences as well as mathematicians and statisticians. It should also serve as a valuable introduction to the subject for students of mathematics and statistics.
- The Dynamics of Conflict: A Guide to Engagement and Intervention
Praise for the Second Edition of The Dynamics of Conflict
"Mayer once again demonstrates his unique ability to weave theory and practice together with real-world examples whether about warring nations or a family dispute to help readers better understand both the fundamentals and nuances involved in working in the conflict arena. The Dynamics of Conflict is a very important read for anyone who works with people in conflict." Peter Salem, executive director, Association of Family and Conciliation Courts
"In his latest book, Mayer explores the theoretical underpinnings of conflict as it relates to cognitive, emotional, and behavioral dimensions. Personal stories and examples provide practical skills in communication and negotiation, including how to deal with power, impasse, and cross-cultural issues. The book is a must-read for conflict resolution professionals and will also be easily understandable to the public at large a great tool for businesses, parents, governmental agencies, mental health professionals, and educators!" Nina Meierding, Negotiation and Mediation Training Services; former president, Academy of Family Mediators
"Mayer has always provided our field with a dose of common sense, vision, and clarity. With The Dynamics of Conflict we can add cohesion and extraordinary integration. Based on deep experience, these chapters enter our most difficult challenges in ways that offer understanding in the midst of complexity and concrete strategies for response and engagement a masterful example of approaching conflict with skill and respect. Mayer has gifted us with a book that serves the novice practitioner with guideposts, yet opens ever new and exciting pathways for the seasoned conflict specialist." John Paul Lederach, professor of international peacebuilding, Joan B. Kroc Institute, University of Notre Dame; author, The Moral Imagination: The Art and Soul of Building Peace
Praise for the First Edition
"A rare blend of practical experience and theoretical knowledge. Insightful, useful, and thought provoking. I recommend it!" William Ury, coauthor, Getting to Yes, and author, The Third Side
- Nature Photography Photo Workshop
A how-to guide for capturing stunning photographs in nature
Photographing nature poses unique challenges and demands that you have special skills and a working knowledge of how to work in and with nature. This Photo Workshop is a must-have how-to guide for shooting nature images in nearly any situation you might encounter.
You?ll learn which equipment is right in different settings and why it should be used, how to get an amazing photo of a fast-moving animal, and how to handle a myriad of tricky weather scenarios. This book covers composition, exposure, fill-flash, special creative techniques, and more. Plus, assignments at the end of each chapter sharpen your skills to for taking unique, artistic nature photographs.
- Shows you what equipment to use in different settings and why to use it
- Offers essential advice for photographing a fast-moving animal and dealing with weather obstacles
- Provides a clear understanding of the basic fundamentals of photography
- Addresses composition, exposure, fill-flash, creative techniques, and more
- Shares Photoshop tips for sharpening and improving photos you ve already taken
Packed with inspirational color photos throughout, this workshop guide encourages you to improve your technique for taking nature photographs.
- Mad Men and Philosophy: Nothing Is as It Seems
A look at the philosophical underpinnings of the hit TV show, Mad Men
With its swirling cigarette smoke, martini lunches, skinny ties, and tight pencil skirts, Mad Men is unquestionably one of the most stylish, sexy, and irresistible shows on television. But the series becomes even more absorbing once you dig deeper into its portrayal of the changing social and political mores of 1960s America and explore the philosophical complexities of its key characters and themes. From Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle to John Kenneth Galbraith, Milton Friedman, and Ayn Rand, Mad Men and Philosophy brings the thinking of some of history?s most powerful minds to bear on the world of Don Draper and the Sterling Cooper ad agency. You?ll gain insights into a host of compelling Mad Men questions and issues, including happiness, freedom, authenticity, feminism, Don Draper?s identity, and more.
- Takes an unprecedented look at the philosophical issues and themes behind AMC?s Emmy Award-winning show, Mad Men
- Explores issues ranging from identity to authenticity to feminism, and more
- Offers new insights on your favorite Mad Men characters, themes, and storylines
Mad Men and Philosophy will give Mad Men fans everywhere something new to talk about around the water cooler.